The story of a family enjoying an incredible experience in northern Italy

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Eine reise durch Deutschland mit Andy und Tom...

...meaning a trip through Germany with Andy and Tom. After our new years festivities were over Tom planned a little trip to Munich, Germany for him and me. So on January 2nd, 2007 we got on a train for Munich. Unfortunately, right as I got on the train I realized I had forgotten one important thing: my camera! DANGIT! soo.... the pictures you see were taken on my low quality cell phone.
After arriving in Munich, we found a hostel to stay in and then found the nearest tourist facility for maps and information on what to do. Mainly we walked around to different places and "platz" 's, as said in German. We made a funny realization at some point during the trip that when we are in the states and we see street signs or any sign in general, that we dont really notice it and just keep walking. However, in Germany, EVERY sign that we saw we would read out loud to each other without even trying to understand what it meant. It was getting ridiculous towards the end of the trip just yelling things out over and over again, particularly the word "hauptbahnhof" which means "central station". I dunno. I thought it was funny.
Anyway, the next day Tom planned us a trip to the concentration camp in Dachau, right outside Munich. It was very interesting and of course sad and chilling, and it didn't help that it was overcast and rainy. But still fun nonetheless.
The rest of the day we further explored Munich, going to the Allianz Arena. It was really cool because puffy red things in the picture change color every so often. Tom and I saw the whole thing change from white to red. Sorry about the bad picture.

The Allianz Arena, one of the venues of the 2006 Fifa World Cup.

Würstel anyone?

Tom originally had planned for us to go to St. Moritz, but we were unable to due to over expensive prices and we didn't have 7 and 1/2 hours to blow. So we ended up going to Innsbruck in Austria which was also very fun, seeing sites where the 1964 and 1976 Winter Olympics were held. I didn't get to take any pictures on my phone, but when Tom goes back to the U.S. he'll have his pictures developed and can show you some decent pictures. All in all, a good, fun trip!

Danke Tom! Gut bis das nächste Blog, auf Wiedersehen!

5 Comments:

Blogger Ellen said...

Sounds like a lot of fun, guys! And that wurstel looks delicious! I wish I could reach out and take a bit right now!

6:51 PM

 
Blogger Shirley said...

How many languages can you speak now?! That sounds like a fun trip, and yelling out the street sign names cracked me up. Steve and I were saying a couple weeks ago how we wished we knew German for when we were mad - it's such a strong language - I love it!

2:04 AM

 
Blogger David & Kris said...

Das war augeseichnet! Viel spaß! Und wer ist es dann die Deutsch sprechen kann?

Bis spåter.

Uncle David

3:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that wurstel looks yucky

11:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write very well.

5:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home