The story of a family enjoying an incredible experience in northern Italy

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Boynton Family Mission

Boynton Family Mission

Well, Andy has blogged, and Dad has blogged, I guess it's my turn.

There is a certain book that was required summer reading for all ASM 11th graders, that means Andy. About a week before school started the mother of the only other LDS student at the school called me to see if Andy had read the book. She said her daughter had started reading it and was pretty offended by some of the stuff in it. I called Andy, who was in the US and asked if he had read it. He said no, because he had started it and it was dang boring, and last year they never even mentioned the summer reading book in english. So I told him that it was fine with us if he didn't read it since some of the material in it was objectionable. Case closed.....well, maybe not! He is now trying to figure out what they are talking about in class as they discuss the book and they have a quiz on it today. Consequently, last night he was frantically studying the "cliff notes" on line (they are not called "cliff notes" but it is something similar) and skimming certain chapters in the book. Well, I could have saved him all this trouble if I had done what the other LDS mother had done which was call the school principle, object to the book and have an alternate book assigned (Great Expectations in this case), but Andy wasn't interested in that option ( why should I read a 700 page book when all the other kids only have to read a 300 page book!) Fine, they probably won't even talk about either book anyway. Wrong!

So, last night as Andy was laboring over the "cliff notes" Dad and I were wondering together what this LDS girl in the same class did while everyone was discussing said book and she had read Great Expectations. Now I have told this whole story just as a background to this morning's funny experience.

While Dad was in the shower and Andy and I were fixing breakfast I asked Andy, "so what is this girl doing in class while everyone is discussing this book neither of you read and what will SHE do during the quiz today?" Andy's answer , "I dunno".

Later I was making the bed while Andy and Dad were eating breakfast and I heard Dad ask, "so what is this girl doing in class while everone is discussing this book neither of you read and what will SHE do during the quiz today."

I laughed and yelled into the kitchen, "you don't have to answer that again, Andy". He calmly said, "Oh, I'm used to answering the same questions from you and Dad all the time. It's no problem. I'm only concerned about when I get the same question from the same person in a 5 minute time frame. When that starts happening that's my cue to leave." We told him that was when he has to start taking care of us, but he handed that duty off the the "older kids".

That's it. My first blog. It's harder that it looks. Love, Mom

5 Comments:

Blogger Jourdan said...

perfect blog! and great story :)

5:42 PM

 
Blogger Ellen said...

And I thought I had it rough as the first child!

I imagine I heard a lot of the same things over and over too during my alone time with Mom and Dad. The difference is, I don't remember it!

Of course this story begs the question: What's the objectionable book?

7:46 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

haha, mom knew you'd ask that question. the book was Beloved by Toni Morrison... anyway. yeah.
-Andy

10:00 PM

 
Blogger Carrie B. said...

hilarious mom! hehe.

1:12 AM

 
Blogger Ellen said...

It's a great book. I recommend it. (So does Paul.:)) However, I will say it's kinda hard to understand and I didn't even read it until college! I am sorta surprised your teacher would have you read it on the high school level... anyway...

6:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home