The story of a family enjoying an incredible experience in northern Italy

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Boynton Family Mission

Boynton Family Mission First Date-A Year Late........or "I Did a Bad Thing"

Well, Andy had his first date a week ago and I doubt he'll ever tell you anything about it, so I will!

Let's back up about ten years. Andy has often heard the story of Steve and his buddies forming a "no dating" pact when they were in high school. Our family has never really discussed the reasons for this bizzare pact but I always figured it had something to do with not wanting to spend a bunch of money on dates and not wanting to figure out how to make conversation with a girl. Anyway, the pact was made and everyone was faithful to it. Until one day Steve said to me, "Mom, I've done a bad thing. I've broken the pact and said yes to someone who asked me to a girl's choice dance." Well, that was a "bad thing"I was happy he did. But we always chuckled that he figured it was a bad thing.

Fast forward ten years. Andy and I were driving to school and Andy said, "Mom, remember when Steve did a bad thing? Well, I've done a bad thing. I asked a girl on a date!" Well, another "bad thing" I was happy about. So I asked a bunch of questions and found out that Andy and this girl were sick of hanging out with all the other kids in the Center on Saturday nights (he says they all just sit around at McDonald's and talk and that it's way boring) and so he just suggested to her that they actually go DO something. So the next week Andy and his friend went on a double date with this girl, Alex, and her sister. They are all students at ASM.

Dad and I responsibly made sure that Andy knew all the rules of dating etiquet and he seemed well versed. The night of the date he met his friend, Teddy at McDonalds where they fortified themselves with a hamburger. Then they walked over to the girl's home near Castello Sforzesco in the center of town. They picked up the girls, took them for 3 games of bowling and then had dinner at a nice restaurant. They walked the girls home and were invited up to watch TV. The Mom was kind enough to drive Andy all the way home so he didn't have to take the Metro. So that's what dating in Milan, Italy is like. At least if you're and ASM student. Maybe Andy has started a new trend. Maybe people will actually DO something from now on. Anyway, we're glad he went on his first date, a year late (since he just turned 17). And that's all I have to say about that. Mom

4 Comments:

Blogger David & Kris said...

Bravo, Andy.

Uncle David

11:03 PM

 
Blogger Marg said...

Looks like you managed to avoid the awkward doorstep scene with your date... you had to do it with her mom though! Hee Hee!
Go Andy!

6:36 AM

 
Blogger Ellen said...

glad you got the ol' "first date" out of the way. it's the worst one! from here on out its all fun, fun, fun! sort of...

6:34 AM

 
Blogger Shirley said...

Good choice, Andy!
I've been socially handicapped ever since the anti-dating pact I made with my friends. Just ask Shirley.

Love, Steve

5:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home